Smile Studios Orthodontics specializes in many orthodontic services, using a range of appliances to help our patients achieve beautiful smiles. We have locations in Lovejoy, Fairburn and Powder Springs, where we welcome patients from Atlanta, Marietta, and the surrounding areas of Georgia.
We may use a number of appliances throughout your orthodontic treatment. Below are the types of appliances that we commonly use. If you would like to learn more about the appliances that are involved in a braces treatment, please refer to our page about the parts of braces.
- Elastics – Elastics are also referred to as rubber bands. These are small elastic bands that can be attached to hooks on the brackets of your braces. Elastics can help improve jaw and tooth alignment. They typically attach an upper tooth to a nearby bottom tooth. Although they are removable, they should be worn at all times except when eating.
- Headgear – Headgear is an appliance that is used to correct overbites and underbites. The headgear applies pressure to the teeth to prevent further outward growth. This allows the opposite jaw to grow into a symmetrical position.
- Herbst Appliance – The Herbst appliance is most often used on younger children whose jaws are still growing. This appliance fixes overbites by pushing the upper molars backwards and the lower jaw forwards. Patients typically wear this appliance for about one year.
- Palatal Expander – The palatal expander is worn on the inside of the teeth in the upper jaw. It applies gentle pressure outwards to widen the jaw and make room for the teeth. This appliance requires regular adjustments, which you will have to make at home between appointments. After the jaw has reached the appropriate wideness, patients will continue wearing the appliance to ensure that their jaw doesn’t shift back.
- Retainers – Retainers are an appliance that is used after a braces treatment is complete. They hold the teeth in place to ensure that they don’t shift out of their corrected position. Some retainers are removable, which allows patients to remove them while eating or brushing. Others are permanent, and are cemented into the mouth behind the teeth. Retainers are essential for maintaining your results after braces.
- Separators or Spacers – Separators, also called spacers, are rubber rings that are placed between the teeth before a braces treatment. They create enough space between the teeth to insert bands, which are the foundation of your braces.
If you are considering orthodontic care at Smile Studios Orthodontics, contact us today to schedule your free consultation. Our practice operates out of three convenient offices, located in Lovejoy, Powder Springs and Fairburn, GA. We proudly serve the residents of Atlanta, Marietta, and the nearby Georgia communities.