At Smile Studios Orthodontics, your privacy is of utmost importance to us. We strictly abide by all HIPAA regulations to provide our patients in Atlanta, Marietta, and the surrounding areas of Georgia with exceptional care. We welcome patients to our offices in Lovejoy, Fairburn and Powder Springs, GA.
What Information is Protected By HIPAA?
HIPAA regulations were put in place to protect the privacy of patients, limiting how their information can be shared and which information this applies to. At Smile Studios Orthodontics, this information will include:
- Information we add to your medical record
- Your billing address and information
- Your health insurance information
- Conversations our doctors have with you or other staff members
We take the privacy of our patients very seriously, and are clear and upfront about any ways we may use your information. If you have any concerns regarding the safety of your personal information, please share them with us so we can protect your privacy to the best of our ability.
Who Has Access to My Information?
Under HIPAA regulations, only you, your healthcare provider, and their associated entities will have access to your information. Some patients may also choose to designate a personal representative, which is typically a close friend or family member, who will have legal access to their records. As a parent of a minor child, you will have access to their information.
As a provider of orthodontic care, we may have to share your information with your dental insurance provider, billing companies, or relevant healthcare professionals. Still, you can trust that your information will remain protected, as these entities must also follow HIPAA regulations.
What Are My Rights Under HIPAA?
You are in control of your healthcare records, and have a number of rights when it comes to how your information is handled. Under HIPAA, you are able to:
- Request a Restriction – If there is specific personal information that you would not like shared, you can request to keep this information private. Unless this request interferes with our ability to provide the highest level of care, we should be able to accommodate you.
- Request Alternative Communication – At your request, you can choose to be contacted about your care at phone number or addresses. Some patients feel this helps them further protect their healthcare information.
- View Your Records – You have the right to view your records at any time. This can help you ensure that your information is correct, and will also give you a good idea of the type of information that your healthcare provider keeps on record.
- Amend Your Records – If you notice a mistake in your records, you can request to amend your records. This can help ensure optimal care in the future if your healthcare provider has to review your medical history.
If you have any questions regarding HIPAA policy, please contact us today. We can answer any questions you may have or help you schedule a consultation. Smile Studios Orthodontics has offices in Powder Springs, Fairburn and Lovejoy, where we welcome patients from Atlanta, Marietta, and the neighboring areas of Georgia.