As a child develops, one of the first things parents begin to feel concern about is their child’s oral health. Dr. Leroy Venn of Smile Studio Orthodontics near East Point GA is often asked if a child may eventually need orthodontic attention, what the signs are to look for, and at what age should a child begin treatment. No two cases are the same. Dr. Venn has the answers to a few of the most important questions that you may have.
When Is it Best to Begin Treatment?
In many cases, orthodontic issues can be detected early in life. The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that all children get a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7. During your child’s examination or treatment, your orthodontist can:
· Spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are still present, to diagnose and treat problems that might arise in the future.
· Diagnose a problem that only an orthodontist, like Dr. Leroy Venn is able to detect. While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be clues to future issues.
· Identify a developing problem that isn’t noticeable by a general dentist’s exam. The doctor will likely recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development, and if indicated, begin orthodontic treatment at a time that is appropriate for the child. In other cases, the orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit from early orthodontic intervention.
· Prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age less time consuming and complicated.
A Smile Studio Orthodontics associate says that, in some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing, thus preventing orthodontic treatment later in life. Early treatment will give your orthodontist the chance to:
· Guide the jaw’s growth correctly
· Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
· Correct careless or harmful oral habits
· Improve appearance and confidence
· Grow permanent teeth into a more favorable position
· Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Because patients differ in physiological development and treatment needs, the orthodontist’s goal is to provide each patient with the most appropriate treatment for them at the most appropriate time in their lives. Dr. Leroy Venn says that through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile! Even if your child is older than age 7, it is never too late for a thorough examination with Dr. Leroy Venn and the team at Smile Studio Orthodontics.
What are the first steps?
Dr. Leroy Venn and the team will examine your child and discuss which options are best suited to correct their orthodontic issues. Once you have agreed on the appropriate treatment plan with Dr. Leroy Venn and the amazing staff at Smile Studio Orthodontics, you will be on the road to the healthy and gorgeous smile you have always wanted! We invite you to call Smile Studio Orthodontics to learn more about orthodontic treatment for children near East Point GA at: 770-892 3833